I think I just got the truth out of one of the support team.......
If you are using a 5GB account, you MUST put up with this NAGWARE. So, no point in looking for a solution at all.
Here's the transcript of the chat:
If you are using the Free account, it may ask to upgrade the application and the notification e-mail will come. Kindly ignore this mail, if you want to disable it, you have to remove the application/cancel the account completely
Ok, so to confirm.. You are telling me that to use the 5GB free account, I must be subject to Nagware that cannot be disabled. If this is the case, then your software would then be classified as containing malware, and would be reported as such. So, are you 100% certain that the nagware cannot be disabled?
Yes this is as per the design and the Nagware cannot disable for the 5 GB free account
IMO, this software should be classified as containing Malware. I shall now be closing the account, deleting the software and using a competitors product.
There have been many studies undertaken that show quite categorically that in well over 70% of instances, NAGWARE results in a user discontinuing use of the package, rather than complying with whatever the NAGWARE is trying to compel them to do.
So, why is it that companies like this continue to use NAGWARE? Is it that they really don't care at all about how they treat potential customers? Is it that they're happy to have 70% of potential customers turn away, because they've conned the other 30%?